Sunday, November 8, 2009

I Love This Airplane

On Thursday of this week, I got up at 0 dark thirty and launched for Tampa to squander a couple of days at the AOPA Aviation Summit.
It was a great excuse to get a few hours in Romeo Victor. I contacted Memphis approach control after departing from Dewitt Spain, and a familiar voice greeted me by name. My friend, Roman Greene asked where I was off to and wished me a good trip. I had a nice tailwind the whole way, with ground speeds right at 200 knots (about 230 mph). I love watching the sun come up from 9,500 feet.

I was able to fly a direct route to Plant City, Florida because there are no restricted areas along this part of the west Florida coastline, unlike the panhandle area with all its military bases and training areas. As long as you stay within the ADIZ, which is clearly outlined on the Garmin 696, you don't have to worry about meeting one of our country's enforcement jets. I don't mind a short route out over the water.



I enjoyed me two days at the AOPA convention in the convention center. I was able to attend some interesting forums with topics on travel and pilot proficiency. I met up with an old friend, Dave Hirschman, who writes for the AOPA Pilot magazine. I bought a couple of inflatable floatation vests, so you can guess what I'm planning to do soon.

I left Saturday morning and made it home in time for a bike ride before the Alabama game. Roll Tide!

No comments: