Sunday, June 29, 2008

Checking Out SPOT


I couldn't resist ordering a SPOT (satellite personal tracker) after seeing it on Doug Reeves' website. This little gizmo sits up on the glareshield of Juliet Charlie and tracks our progress by GPS coordinates. It will send a signal which causes an email or text message (or both, if you prefer) to any number of people or mobile phones that you designate when you set up your account ($99 per year plus 49.95 for the optional tracking function). In addition, it has a "911" function which will summon emergency help and a "help" function which will send a predetermined message to another designated list of recipients.

So I flew my daughter, Rachel to Tuscaloosa today and dropped her off at Bama Air to visit with some old friends for a couple of days. When I got back, I checked out my message page to show the track that I had sent via SPOT.

The Garmin 396 also got a workout, helping me navigate around some scattered thunderstorms.

Tomorrow I'm ferrying my friend, Bill Snapp to 52F (near Dallas) to pick up his newly painted RV-8A.

No comments: