Monday, July 28, 2008

Flying below treetop level

Most of the time flying means screaming along in my RV-8A at 200 mph going cross-country at 8,000 feet en route to some important destination (like a tennis match against my arch-rival, Larry in Birmingham). Lately, or should I say, as I get older, I kind of like sauntering along at low altitudes, checking out the flora and fauna from above. What's the big hurry, after all? My friend, James has the perfect vehicle for sauntering in the Aircam, a twin-engine (two robust, water-cooled, four-cycle Rotax 900's) tandem seat aircraft, designed for photographic missions over the jungle, where an engine failure in a single engine plane would be unfortunate. This week James and I are going to test our endurance for sauntering with a trip to the annual overdose-of-anything-aviation extravaganza in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Since it's 530 straight-line miles one-way, and our top speed will not excede 75 mph, we should have plenty of time for our passion for low-altitude cruising.

No comments: